Friday 5 April 2013

Memories in a box.

Its been a while since my lovely dad passed away and now we have the sadness of clearing the family home
.
 I thought i was finished with the tears, but going through 91 years of my dads beloved treasures has been more emotional than when he died. Things like family photos, fathers day and birthday cards, going back years are the worst.

 Its so heart breaking to break up a family home which had so many happy memories, but it has to be done.

We found some of his special photos and keepsakes from his past in an old wooden box which i would like to share with you all.

   How lovely that dad cherished these old cards enough to keep them. The one on the bottom right was from my mum to my dad.

 Some old coins and purses and a post office savings book.
 My lovely mum and dad during the war. Mum passed away 4 years ago leaving dad very sad. He missed her terribly.
 An old hand written envelope addressed to where dad was stationed during the war
 How lovely to find such a royal piece of memorabilia.
 Photos of my mum, dad and his mum and dad. The 2 babies are my sister and me.
 My granny and granddad Claydon. The silk postcards were sent to my gran from my granddad during the first war.
 Lovely hand written letter. Notice how old the stamp is.
 More photos of my family.
 Me with my twin sister Carole. I think i am the one on the left.
 Mum and Dad with both of us.
 I still have my teddy and rose bud doll.
 Mum always dressed us up in the same cloths so it was hard to tell which one was which.
 More of dads treasures in his box.

As you can see by these photos my mum and dad where very proud of us two girls and we were lucky enough to have such kind and caring parents.
God Bless you both.
x

7 comments:

  1. So poignant. What lovely things you have shown. Sending you a hug. Thank you for sharing such precious items. They must have been wonderful parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Linda, What a beautiful post sweetie! It is understandable you still had tears to shed going through a lifetime of his belongings and missing him. You shared so many beautiful things! Your dad was certainly a caring and loving man. I am so happy you and your sister had such kind and caring parents. I love the photos of you and your sister! I did not know you were a twin. I think it is so sweet your mum dressed you the same. I love the old war postcards and letters. What treasures you have dearest! Your mum was beautiful and your dad was handsome. You and your sister are so sweet and precious! It is wonderful you still have your teddy and rose bud doll. Thank you for sharing this loving post! Sending you a big hug and lots of love! Thank you for your sweet comment and note! God bless you! Love, Paula xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wonderful to have all those memories. you were so lucky to have your Dad for all those years. x J

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some amazing treasures to cherish and I too am sending you a hug. Although it's been a few years now since we had to clear the family home after mum died I can still remember what a hard task it was to get through. Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. feeling your sadness at breaking up the family home - xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post, and such treasured items. Reading your post helps reinforce my loathing of digital, of course it has its good points but I miss the nostalgic wonder of flicking through photos and albums. In fact I have just ordered a polaroid camera so I can collect images of my boys and put them in a physical album and capture their moments for years to come.

    Great big hugs from all at Crivens cottage and a Thank you for sharing such a task with us xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Linda. I'm so happy to find you. What a wonderful thing these linky parties are, otherwise we might miss some very nice people. You have such wonderful memories of your life and your folks. I have that too and I know how fortunate I am. I love the old pictures and you were able to find a lot. How nice. I look forward to seeing you again and thank you for following as I am too..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete