Tuesday 11 January 2011

Buttons and Suffolk Puffs

In my February issue of Country Living i read an article about craft and companionship, where four crafts women shared their knowledge and taught each other skills. One of those skills was how to make a Suffolk Puff. I had never heard of one until then.!With this in mind i searched my local charity shops and found some lovely buttons and fabric and had a go at making some.


These are the buttons and material i found in the charity shops. I just love looking for anything to do with sewing.








It gave me great pleasure sorting through them looking for ones to use.  I found a large glass jar to store them in.


I found instructions on how to make a Suffolk Puff on Google.


       From this hand made women's bodice pictured in a nineteenth century fashion book. I was inspired by the colour combination of red, cream and pink to make my puffs. 



I made two large and two small puffs them sewed the small one on top of the large one, finishing them off with a pink button on the top.




The finished Suffolk Puffs

 I'm not sure what to do with them.

 Any Ideas?

9 comments:

  1. Maybe you could make them into brooches?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could make them into brooches, or put them on tops or bags? They're really pretty. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Suffolk Puffs..... they are just so pretty with the stripes and red centers. There are so many things they would be perfect for: flowers on a pillow top with rick rack stems, individual brooches, trim on a purse or strung on thread for a lovely garland, and the list goes on.

    I have never heard these called Suffolk puffs, but here in the states, they are called "yo yos". They are fun and therapeutic to make to make. Have a small plastic tub full of them waiting for something wonderful..... like embellishing a handmade card.

    Buttons are so wonderful..... again, I find it therapeutic sorting through them..... pearl buttons are my favorite finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindy Loo - you are one of the cleverest people i know - they are beautiful xxx - We need a little Vintage fayre to take them too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much for your helpful comments. Watch this blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello auntie linda this is maisie i made my onw blog so please can you follow me ,i have started following your blog and i have found out how to add a new post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda! I've just found your blog after reading your comment on our Homespun page. I am one of those four women from the CL article that inspired you to make a Suffolk Puff! My friend Angela was the person who told me what they were, as I had bought an old nightdress case made from them at an antiques fair and I had never come across them before......although I do now recall my cousin having a clown doll made out of loads of them stitched together when we were both growing up! Now I am seeing them crop up everywhere, they seem to be the thing of the moment! I use mine as little adornments on vintage fabric bags, and sewn onto hair grips, and also as corsages. they are just such 'happy' things! Keep puff, puff, puffing!
    Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your colour combination, I am making puffs to decorate my grandsons pram for his parents wedding tomorrow, also a couple to either stick on my shoes, as a corsage or on hair clips, havent decided yet. They are really fun x

    ReplyDelete